Woodworking had been taking over my thoughts for a few weeks this past month. Everyday after work, I’d rush into the wood shop only to become somewhat frustrated and overwhelmed. Our latest project assigned by our class instructor, Sterling, was to build a 3-legged milking stool. Easy enough was the thought that first came to my mind (especially after seeing Sterling’s sample stool), but the reality of building the stool (with hand tools mind you) was totally different.
We were given rough milled 13x13x2″ poplar (for the seat of the stool), and 3 legs of poplar that were roughly 2x2x8″ for the legs. The first step in the process was to square all of the boards. Luckily, I got quite a bit of practice in doing this when doing the try square project (which I wrote about previously here.) Once the boards were squared up, we were off, marking the stool in such a way to understand placement of the legs, angles the legs would splay out, and dimensions of the mortises.
Too many hours in the shop later, I ended up with this:
I was able to get the tenons to fit into the mortises, however there were still gaps between the edges. To add a bit of flair, highlight the flaws (I wanted to prove that I indeed made the stool entirely by hand of course), and impress people, I added a few wedges of walnut on the edges of the tenon to fill in the gaps.
Overall, I appreciate the aesthetic of the stool, and I think that this idea for a first major beginner project was good. I learned a lot of techniques, I only wished I’d have had more time to work on it. As you can see, there is a bit of wood tear out around the mortises (this can obviously be fixed with a bit of surface planing), and the bottom of the stool shows the edges of the mortises (ideally, the area around the tenon would hide this part). But, I suppose that is why God made wood putty 😉
In the end, despite all the imperfections, I’m rather proud of my stool, because I made it mostly by hand, and because it is an awful lot of work. I’ll likely go back into the shop soon and sand down the edges, and plane away the tear out to make it more aesthetically pleasing.
Now, I only need to find something to do with it, since I don’t see myself milking cows again any time soon. 😉