I hang out with a bunch of health nuts. I am totally fine with this (we are products of our environment after all), but it has put a damper on my baking. My friends and I constantly monitor macro-nutrient ratios; this leaves little room for empty calories in the form of sweets.
So, I’ve been playing around in the kitchen, and came up with a cool recipe for protein brownie bites. Each has about 60 kcals, 6 grams of protein, 8 grams of carbs, and 0.5 grams of fat. They aren’t half bad either… Nikhil, Arthur, and I annihilated a batch in only a couple of days.
Warning: these are not actual brownies, they are not terribly sweet, and they do have a ‘healthy’ taste and texture. But, we eat to live, and live to eat only on rare occasions.
Here’s the recipe (per Arthur’s request)…
4 oz Almond Milk (unsweetened)
1/2 cup sucanat
4 egg whites
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
8 oz baby food (I used pears)
3 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup oat flour
3 scoops of vanilla whey powder (I used Isopure whey isolate)
walnuts (optional for garnish)
1) Mix the wet ingredients in one container, and the dry ingredients in another
2) Mix wet and dry ingredients all together in one container
3) Lightly spray 8×8 baking container with non-stick spray
4) Pour batter in baking dish
5) Allow to bake 40-45 minutes at 350F checking occasionally for consistency.
6) Garnish with walnuts
7) Try with all your might not to eat the entire batch in one sitting. 😉xoxo