Last day in London and Chaos in Paris

My final day in London was abbreviated as I had a train to catch in the late afternoon to Paris. By this time, I had done quite a bit of walking about the city/sightseeing, and had seen a few plays. I decided to spend the day visiting museums. After breakfast, I checked out of the B&B and headed to the British Museum.

There was so much to see in the museum, I could have easily spent weeks in there. I instead took a cursory glance at everything and left after 3 hours. By then, it was early after noon and I decided to spend the rest of the day visiting specialty shops on Picadilly. I enjoyed another meal of tea, scones, and muffins, and soaked in the bustle of the streets. After a couple of hours, it was time for me to head to the station to catch my Thalys train to Paris.

In the end, I felt as though London is like another city in the States with people speaking in a different accent. There are McDonalds and Starbucks on every street corner, the people always seem occupied, and I felt that an overall sense of character was lacking.

Here are some photos of London.

The ride from Paris to London was not long, but the hour time change made me feel as if I had traveled long. It was late when I arrived in Paris, and I wanted to make sure I arrived to the B&B in Paris while it was still light out. I had booked a B&B called Hotel de Lille in Paris and printed out directions to the B&B. Unfortunately, there were 2 Hotel de Lilles in Paris, and I had printed out directions for the one I wasn’t staying at. After arriving at the wrong hotel, I got directions on how to go to the other hotel and walked to the other hotel.

In the U.S, dates are written Month/Day/Year. In Europe, dates are written Day/Month/Year. After arriving at the correct B&B, I was informed there was not a room for me; I had booked my room for April 6, 2009 instead of June, 4, 2009. I just about peed in my pants… what was I to do? It was already 22:00 and finding a decently priced hotel in the area so late was surely going to be difficult and tiring. The Madame in charge of the Hotel was kind and made me feel safe. Her son offered to give me a ride to an apartment that was being rented out for the same price. She told me to grab dinner, and that everything would be taken care of.

I walked around the block and found Cafe Louise (now my cafe in Paris) and enjoyed a pasta primavera dish. After a full meal, I headed back to the B&B and waited for MMe Drey’s son to pick me up and drop me off at the apartment. He came soon enough and took me to the Gare de Lyon area where my apartment was. The apartment was nice; clean bed/sheets, warm heating, and hot showers. I had the best sleep that night.


You may also like

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *