Oftentimes when I meet someone they ask me why I’m a vegetarian. This happened to occur today at lunch. I feel that here is better than anywhere to go into my reasoning. Before I list the reasons why I’ve chosen to be a vegetarian let me say that I don’t judge people who choose to eat meat. People make different choices for different reasons, and it is not my place to judge the choices that other people make. Just being alive is inevitably going to cause suffering. But anyway, here’s why I’m a veg:
1) I love animals, and believe that a veg diet causes less suffering than a diet centered around animal products
2) Animals are sentient creatures with their own wills, and it seems wrong to force our will onto another creature just because we’re able to.
3) A good deal of medical evidence points to the fact that a diet centered around animal products is terrible for you. Animal product based diets have been repeatedly proven to cause and exacerbate cancer, heart disease, obesity, impotence, diabetes, etc.
4) A veg diet is materially more efficient than an animal product based diet. By that I mean that you can feed lots more people with grain directly than by feeding that grain to a cow and then killing the cow. In a world where people are starving it seems criminal to fatten up cows with grain that could be keeping people alive.
5) The raising of farm animals is environmentally disastrous. All of the waste from animal farming gets washed into our water supply, poisoning our drinking water and fouling our lakes, streams, and oceans.
6) Veg food is nice to look at. Compare a plate with grains and fruits and vegetables to a plate with pigs’ intestines, chicken legs, and chopped up cow’s muscles.
I guess that encompasses the bulk of it. Again, I do not judge.
I think this will be the first full night of sleep I will get (now that my future has slightly more security)